Home Community Days Gone By

Days Gone By: Oct. 25, 2017

This day in local history for October 25.

Published on October 25, 2017 12:01AM

100 Years Ago

From the East Oregonian

Oct. 25, 1917

Mrs. Susan Denck, the Pendleton woman who has given five sons to the army, now has her Liberty Bond. This morning she walked into one of the banks to see if there was not some way in which she could make a part of the big loan that is to support the boys at the front. She explained that the government owed her $40 for taking care of the postoffice lawn and that she would turn that in on a bond. Before, however, she could go any further, the banker presented her with a $50 bond, not in charity but in generous recognition of the shining spirit of patriotism that burns in her mother breast.

50 Years Ago

From the East Oregonian

Oct. 25, 1967

A Purple Heart medal was awarded posthumously to Corporal David Lloyd Clark of La Grande, Wednesday. The medal and accompanying citation were presented to his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Donald L. Clark of La Grande, by Colonel William J. Whelan, commanding officer of the Umatilla Army Depot, Hermiston. Clark enlisted in the Army 11 months ago and died on Aug. 25 of wounds received in action in Vietnam. He was Oregon’s 148th military fatality in the Vietnam conflict. Born in La Grande 19 years ago, he was a 1966 graduate of Heppner High School. His body was interred at Heppner Masonic Cemetery Sept. 2 with graveside military honors.

25 Years Ago

From the East Oregonian

Oct. 25, 1992

A 28-year-old Newberg man was killed early this morning after he was apparently thrown off the top of a Chevrolet Blazer outside of Pilot Rock. Although police reports are still sketchy, it appears that Timothy A. Dwight was riding on top of his vehicle, driven by John F. Davis, 28, of Tualatin. At about 1:30 a.m., about a mile outside of Pilot Rock, the vehicle reportedly drove off a gravel road with Dwight riding on top. When the vehicle left the roadway Dwight was thrown off. Davis and passenger Mark A. Pohl, 27, of Beaverton transported Dwight to St. Anthony Hospital, but Dwight died before their arrival.


Share and Discuss


User Comments