Home Community Days Gone By

Days Gone By: Nov. 6-7, 2017

This day in local history for November 6-7.

Published on November 7, 2017 12:01AM

100 Years Ago

From the East Oregonian

Nov. 6-7, 1917

Few indeed have been the housewives of Umatilla county who have refused to sign the food pledge cards. As reports come in from the various school districts it is clearly indicated that the great majority of the women are ready and eager to aid in the conservation of food. There have been some refusals to sign but most of these refusals come from ignorance or misconception rather than through disloyalty or selfishness. The follow-up campaign this week will doubtless remove the objections of most of these. Freewater reports but four refusing to sign, one of these giving as her reason that she could not conscientiously do anything to aid the war program.

50 Years Ago

From the East Oregonian

Nov. 6-7, 1967

Those were not sonic booms heard in Condon shortly after noon on Monday and Tuesday of last week, but was the noise of dynamite being set off at the southwest end of Condon High School’s football field. School District No. 25 has an agreement with Schnall and Kalal Construction Co. to move earth surrounding the area of the football field. This earth moving is preparatory to installation of a track and other athletic facilities at the high school.

25 Years Ago

From the East Oregonian

Nov. 6-7, 1992

Freedom of expression was called into question this week at Pendleton Junior High School when a group of students was disciplined during a rally in support of Measure 9. But principal Michael Moore said administrators warded off a potentially disruptive situation by asking students to return to class. With only minutes until the end of their lunch period, about 100 ninth graders gathered on a nearby stage to express their support for the measure — and to criticize school administrators for removing political posters students had tacked to their lockers, Moore said. Students were asked to disperse and head for class before the lunch period ended. About half of the assembled group complied at once, and about half of those remaining returned to class after the 1 p.m. bell rang. Some 20 to 25 students stayed behind, however. The possibility that a student stand-off in the lunchroom could escalate prompted school officials to phone police, Moore noted.


Share and Discuss


User Comments