Home Community Days Gone By

Days Gone By: Jan. 11, 2018

This day in local history for January 11.

Published on January 11, 2018 12:01AM


100 Years Ago

From the East Oregonian

Jan. 11, 1918

Plans for a parish house for the Church of the Redeemer, to be known as the Potwine Memorial House, were launched in a tentative way last evening at the annual parish meeting held following a dinner given in the basement of the Christian church. The suggestion for a parish house to answer social and club needs of the church and to serve the community in much the same way as a Y.M.C.A. building was made by the Rev. Alfred Lockwood, new rector of the church.

50 Years Ago

From the East Oregonian

Jan. 11, 1968

The Sisters of St. Francis in Pendleton have a new look about them. They are a wee bit self-conscious about it. But they are delighted, too, the way all women feel when they get something new to wear. In keeping with the trend in religious orders to update their apparel, the local nuns have adopted a simplified headdress. Gone are the starched headbands and wide bertha-type starched collars. In their place is a simple white cap, to which a veil is pinned. The neckline is soft, and the bodice is covered by a half-scapular — “in drip-dry material!” said Sister Lawrence, administrator of St. Anthony Hospital, exultantly.

25 Years Ago

From the East Oregonian

Jan. 11, 1993

Neighbors helped save household possessions and tried to extinguish a fire with snow and garden hoses in sub-zero temperatures Sunday at a residence on Southwest Jay. Firefighters were unable to respond promptly because the home of Pat and Cathy Costello is about a quarter mile outside the city limits — and outside of the city’s fire protection area — on the west side of McKay Creek. However, about a half hour after the Costello children called 911, Fire Chief Dick Hopper authorized the use of the pumper truck and allowed four firemen to cross the district line and defend neighborhood homes in the event the blaze spread. “Our formal policy is we just don’t go at all, but it would not have been within my own ethics to allow an entire block to burn, and the potential was there,” said Hopper. The fire started Sunday morning after the Costellos used a heat lamp and hair dryer in an effort to thaw frozen water pipes.



Marketplace

Share and Discuss

Guidelines

User Comments