Home Community Days Gone By

Days Gone By: Jan. 19, 2018

This day in local history for January 19.

Published on January 19, 2018 12:01AM

100 Years Ago

From the East Oregonian

Jan. 19, 1918

Much interest in the county is fastened to the case of Lawrence L. Colwell, a 15-year-old Umapine boy, who is charged with the murder on May 7, 1917, of James E. Short, a farmer of the east end of the county. The shooting occurred over a horse deal between the Shorts and Colwell. Mr. Short’s son went to the field where a son-in-law of the elder Colwell was working and took the horse in question out of the harness. Mrs. Colwell and her son, Lawrence, armed themselves with a shotgun and a six shooter, then went to the Merrick place where James E. Short was looking at a piece of wheat. The boy claims to have fired the shot which killed the old man. The boy was arrested and has been in the county jail since.

50 Years Ago

From the East Oregonian

Jan. 19, 1968

A former Eugene home building contractor and owner of race horses has announced that he has purchased 80 acres of land in the Hermiston area and will start immediately to develop a race horse training track and a horse motel. E.T. Johnson said his initial plans call for the construction of a half-mile track with a quarter-mile straightaway. The track will be equipped with a starting gate. Johnson plans the construction of three barns for a total of 90 stalls on the land he has purchased from Doris Bounds in the Westland district, approximately five miles west of Hermiston.

25 Years Ago

From the East Oregonian

Jan. 19, 1993

An alternative ski run turned into an overnight adventure for two Irrigon boys who got lost in the Blue Mountains near Spout Springs ski area. Jason Brown and James Tovey, both 14, were rescued by a ski patrolman and recreational mountaineer Saturday night. All four spent the night in a canyon on the back side of the Tollgate area resort. They slept in sleeping bags in a snow cave and climbed out Sunday morning. The boys were reported missing at about 2 p.m. Saturday. They were reunited with their families shortly after noon the next day.


Share and Discuss


User Comments