Home News Local News

Fire takes home from Pendleton family

Mother was in hospital with newborn daughter when fire gutted home
Phil Wright

East Oregonian

Published on December 18, 2017 5:37PM

Last changed on December 18, 2017 9:49PM

Kyle Bannick points a flashlight to where he was sleeping Saturday morning when he escaped the fire that destroyed his home in Pendleton.

Staff photo by Phil Wright

Kyle Bannick points a flashlight to where he was sleeping Saturday morning when he escaped the fire that destroyed his home in Pendleton.

Buy this photo
Kyle Bannick and his partner Andi Davis lost their Pendleton home to a Saturday morning fire. Bannick said he was asleep when a text from Davis happened to wake to fire burning across the ceiling.

Staff photo by Phil Wright

Kyle Bannick and his partner Andi Davis lost their Pendleton home to a Saturday morning fire. Bannick said he was asleep when a text from Davis happened to wake to fire burning across the ceiling.

Buy this photo

Kyle Bannick was sound asleep on the couch Saturday morning when a text message from his girlfriend woke him. That text, he said, probably saved his life.

“I looked up, and the flames were coming over and stuff was raining down around me,” he said. “It just, like, went up in seconds.”

The Pendleton Fire Department responded at about 7 a.m. Saturday to the trailer home at space 21 of Riverside Mobile Estates, 2712 N.E. Riverside Ave., Pendleton. Bannick, 24, was salvaging what he could Monday afternoon. Soot and char covered almost every surface.

He shined a flashlight on the stove flue and said the fire started there, only a few feet from where has been sleeping. When he realized his home was aflame, he said, he first saved the cat, then grabbed some family photos. That was about all he could save, he said. The fire even took Christmas gifts.

“All the presents just melted,” he said.

His pet frog, however, survived in its large tank, though smoke blackened the glass.

His girlfriend, Andi Davis, 33, and their two children were not at home when the fire began. He said they were at St. Anthony Hospital, Pendleton, where Davis was recovering from giving birth Wednesday to Minnow Rain Bannick, their daughter.

Bannick was not hurt in the fire but was still coughing up black gunk on Monday. He looked over the inside of the trailer.

“We worked our butts off to get this place and everything in it,” he said.

They did not have insurance and for now are bouncing from one hotel to another.

Davis’ friend, Melissa Webb, started an online donation account to help the family at gofundme.com. Bannick said the Pendleton Market and First Stop Mart on Southeast Court Avenue also are taking donations to help his family. Bannick said he appreciated the generosity from the community and was grateful he was the only one home when it burned.

This is the second fire that has touched Davis’ life this year. Back in January she watched from the icy street at flames shot out of her parent’s home at 1525 S.E. Alexander Place. They rebuilt the home.

———

Contact Phil Wright at pwright@eastoregonian.com or 541-966-0833.



Marketplace

Share and Discuss

Guidelines

User Comments