100 Years Ago

From the East Oregonian

Aug. 9-10, 1914

This morning Justice of the Peace Joe H. Parkes assessed a fine of $300 against Joe Minzolle, an Italian, who pleaded guilty to the charge of hunting grouse without a license, a record fine and one that indicates that the courts are supporting District Game Warden E.F. Averill in his fight against violators of the game laws. There were three charges against Minzolle, but the other two were not pressed. As an unnaturalized foreigner it was unlawful for him to own or carry firearms and he was also hunting without a license. His case was further aggravated by the fact that he was once before arrested on a similar charge and that he made alleged statements that he would shoot the first game warden that attempted to disarm him. He was unable to pay his fine and will serve 150 days in jail.

50 Years Ago

From the East Oregonian

Aug. 9-10, 1964

Robert Clark Davies, 43, Echo, is nursing his wounds in jail at Hermiston this morning after being shot by officer Harold Berry of the Hermiston police department about 4 a.m. Sunday. Davies allegedly was caught by officer Berry breaking into the Oregon Hardware and Sporting Goods store, 175 Main St., Hermiston. According to officer Berry, Davies smashed the glass on the front door and entered the store. Officer Berry, who was in the next block, heard the glass break and came to investigate. He discovered Davies crouched down behind the counter, going through hardware store’s gun case. When Davies drew a gun on him, Berry shot and hit Davies about 5 inches below the neck. Davies was taken into custody after a second shot hit him in the shoulder and brought him to a halt. The wounds were superficial.

25 Years Ago

From the East Oregonian

Aug. 9-10, 1989

Wildfires that swept parts of Eastern Oregon in recent days spared the Umatilla National Forest near Pendleton, but the massive firefighting effort touched the community. Jim Sorenson of Atlanta, Ga., and Jim Sain of Kinston, N.C., of the U.S. Forest Service flew into Pendleton last week to coordinate movements of more than 1,000 firefighters. The Travelodge Motel in Pendleton served as their headquarters. At the start of the week, the pair was monitoring about 50 crews, which they could provide the location and status of in an instant. On Monday, 25 of those 20-man Forest Service crews were battling the 23,000-acre Canal Creek fire near the Eagle Cap Wilderness in the Wallowa Mountains. Ten crews were mopping up the 4,500-acre Tanner Gulch fire near Anthony Ski Resort. Two air traffic controllers were added to the Pendleton Airport tower crew to handle the increased traffic. The tower has been operating 24 hours a day instead of its usual 7 a.m.-7 p.m. schedule and the traffic count is up 40 percent from last year, tower chief Tom Billings said.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.