100 Years Ago

From the East Oregonian

Nov. 16, 1918

It took Pendleton people just 30 minutes yesterday to volunteer to fill 10 Christmas cartons for soldiers overseas, for half an hour after the news appeared in the East Oregonian that the “Sammies” lacking friends and relatives had sent their labels to the Red Cross, all the boxes were spoken for. Not only was there a ready response, but a waiting list of 22 names is at the Red Cross office in the federal building, in case more cartons are to be filled. Secretary Roosevelt has written headquarters asking for more labels of this kind.

50 Years Ago

From the East Oregonian

Nov. 16, 1968

The demand for electric power is increasing sharply in Morrow County, with a “literal explosion of irrigation wells,” Harley Young, manager of Columbia Basin Electric Co-Op, told the group’s annual meeting Thursday. “There have been 43 new deep wells drilled for irrigation in Morrow County alone since Jan. 1,” Young stated. “These require in excess of 3,000 h.p. to be tied to the wells.” Servicing these new electric consumers has created a problem during the past year in building new lines. Further major construction of lines and new transformers will be necessary to meet future demands. A new 5,000 h.p. transformer is planned for Jordan as one of the projects in the near future.

25 Years Ago

From the East Oregonian

Nov. 16, 1993

A 2-year-old boy playing with a cigarette lighter started the fire Monday morning that destroyed much of his family’s upstairs apartment in a Pendleton triplex, Ron Campbell, Pendleton fire marshal, said. No one was injured in the fire, although the boy’s mother, Vicki Morris, was given oxygen. The 10:22 a.m. blaze was set when the child, alone in a bedroom, used a cigarette lighter to ignite a bag of clothes, Campbell said. A smoke alarm sounded, prompting his mother to rescue the boy and his 4-year-old brother. The fire spread from the bag of clothes and climbed a wall, Campbell said. It generated enough heat to produce a ”flashover,” a flame that engulfs the entire room. The bedroom was gutted and other upstairs rooms were damaged by smoke and intense heat that melted items in the living room, Campbell said.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.