Just in time for Flag Week and Fourth of July celebrations, the W.S. Bowman Building at 6 S. Main St., Pendleton, is again flying the American flag from its rooftop flagpole.
The castle-style building was built in 1905 by W.S. Bowman for his photography studio, along with retail and residential space. From 1941 to 1965 the building housed Riverside Maternity Hospital and Drs. Holt and Hutchins.
Dr. Robert McKenzie bought the property in 1974 from the Holt estate. His daughter, Linda Witherrite, plans to open a medical museum on the top floor featuring antique instruments and equipment used by her late grandfather, Dr. H.S. McKenzie, a former local physician.
Anyone born in the castle is invited to sign the birth registry. Anyone with questions, donations or old photos can contact Witherrite at email@example.com.