Oregon State Police reported troopers arrested one local intoxicated driver who crashed into a yard and another who was driving with her infant in the backseat.
The two were among several police nabbed for driving under the influence of intoxicants, some with more than alcohol in their system.
Trooper Wesley Linhart at about 11:40 p.m. Friday tried to stop a green GMC pickup for speeding on Highway 339 though Milton-Freewater. State police reported the trooper saw the vehicle run a stop sign and hit 78 mph in a 55 mph zone.
When the pickup stopped, Linhart reported the driver was intoxicated and there were open containers in the vehicle.
A Milton-Freewater police officer translated for the trooper. The driver, Carlos Madrigal Garcia, 25, of Milton-Freewater, would not take sobriety tests and the trooper took him to the Milton-Freewater Police Department, where he gave a breath sample that showed his blood-alcohol level was .19 percent. The legal limit is .08 percent.
The trooper took him to the Umatilla County Jail, Pendleton, where officers found Madrigal Garcia in possession of a substance that a field test showed was cocaine.
He admitted to using cocaine an hour before driving, state police reported.
Police booked Madrigal Garcia into the jail for DUII, reckless driving, possession of cocaine and not having a driver’s license.
Almost an hour earlier, a driver crashed a Kia SUV into railroad ties in the yard at 1710 S.W. 10th St., Hermiston. State police arrested Kimberly Dawn Haigh, 45, Stanfield, for DUII (alcohol) reckless driving and third-degree criminal mischief. State police reported her blood alcohol level was .22 percent.
Trooper Linhart at about 8 p.m. Saturday caught a speeding Toyota Yaris at the intersection of highways 339 and 332, Milton-Freewater. According to state police, Audalliz Melida Nunez, 18, of Milton-Freewater, admitted to smoking the drug, apologized and told the trooper: “I am just really high.”
She also, according to state police, had her infant in the backseat.
Linhart cited Nunez for DUII (controlled substances), minor in possession of alcohol while operating a vehicle, and minor in possession of marijuana while operating a vehicle, and released her to relatives.
State police also arrested the following for DUII:
• Jeffery Sparks, 35, address not available. His blood-alcohol level was .18 percent.
• Matthew David McQuin, 44, address not available. His blood-alcohol level was .17 percent.
• Ryan Reese Sillaman, 23, Sanford, North Carolina, who had a .08 percent blood-alcohol level.
And local law enforcement made the following DUII arrests:
• Boardman police: James Leland Smith, 60, address not available.
• Umatilla County Sheriff’s Office: Jared Patterson, 26, address not provided, for possession of methamphetamine, possession of heroin, DUII (controlled substance) and resisting arrest.
• Umatilla County Sheriff’s Office: Christine Faye Spence, 39, of 603 S. Water St., Weston, for possession of methamphetamine, DUII (alcohol) and three counts of reckless endangering.