PENDLETON — A Pendleton couple escaped a mobile home fire early Wednesday and used a garden hose to extinguish the blaze, Pendleton Fire Marshal Tyler Nokes reported.

The occupants of 2712 N.E. Riverside Ave., No. 74, smelled smoke several times during the night, Nokes said in a written statement, but could not find the cause until thick black smoke and flames erupted from a kitchen closet.

The couple got out of the home through a bedroom window. Pendleton Fire and Ambulance was dispatched to the fire at 3:40 a.m. Wednesday, but the couple extinguished the fire with a garden hose before firefighters arrived.

Nokes said a discarded cigarette in a flower pot on the front porch started the fire, which got into the mobile home near the front door. “Fortunately, the adults woke up and were able to escape and the kids were staying with family and friends last night,” he said.

Nokes also said residents need to check their smoke alarms monthly and to replace batteries twice a year. “This family is very lucky,” he said. “There were no working smoke alarms in the home.”

If you have any questions about smoke alarms and need any assistance checking them, call the Pendleton Fire Department at 541-276-1442.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.