Fire consumes single-wide

Fire destroys a single-wide trailer at 343 Stephens Ave. In Umatilla. Neighbors said the residents left before the fire started, around 11:30 a.m. The house was almost fully engulfed when firefighters arrived.

Fire quickly chewed through a single-wide manufactured home in Umatilla Thursday morning.

A neighbor of the house at 343 Stephens Ave. called 9-1-1 at around 11:30 a.m. No one was injured; firefighters and neighbors said the residents left before the fire started.  The neighbor across the street, Leecia Smith, first noticed flames inside the home’s living room. She notified the neighbor next door, Jim Landis.

“I knocked on the windows and doors and got  no response,” Landis said.

Firefighters briefly attempted to stop the fire, then focused on protecting the surrounding homes. Umatilla Fire Chief Mike Roxbury said it was an old manufactured home built with wood paneling, not fire-resistant Sheetrock.

“It doesn’t take much to get them going,” he said.

Roxbury said the residents did not return in the few hours that firefighters were on the scene. They were renting the home; the owner is Chuck Royer, of Royer’s Carpet Cleaning.

Sign up for our Daily Headlines newsletter

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.