A small spark caused a big inconvenience in Umatilla when a minor electrical fire caused 16 people to be evacuated from an apartment building.

“The fire itself would have probably fit in a shoe box, but it smoked the place out,” Umatilla Fire Chief Mike Roxbury said.

No one was injured, but residents of the apartment building, across from the Lamplighter Hotel on 6th St., were sent to a hotel for the night until the smoke cleared out.

Roxbury said the fire was caused by an electrical problem but was quickly out with no significant fire or water damage. The main damage came from firefighters tearing a hole in the ceiling to let the smoke out.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.