SALEM - American Indians in Oregon may not have to pay taxes on income. A news release from the Oregon Department of Revenue said American Indians who earned income in 2008 may be able to subtract all or part of it on Oregon tax returns.

American Indians may qualify for the tax break if they meet certain requirements, including having worked and lived on federally recognized Indian country and being an enrolled member of a federally recognized American Indian tribe.

Louise Beach, Pendleton office administrative specialist, said American Indians only qualify for the subtraction if they file and report their total income on federal and Oregon tax returns.

American Indians also must fill out a form called an "Exempt Income Schedule for Enrolled Members of a Federally Recognized American Indian Tribe" and send it in with their Oregon tax returns by April 15, or by Oct. 15 with an approved extension.

The form, instructions and more information on Oregon income taxes are available on the department's Web site,, or by calling (800) 356-4222 toll-free from an Oregon prefix (English or Spanish), or (503) 378-4988 in Salem. For hearing or speech impaired, call (800) 886-7204.

Because of the volume of calls the department receives during tax season, callers may experience extended waiting times.

- Phil Wright

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.