????100 Years Ago

From the East Oregonian

Dec. 27, 1909

Oliver Snyder, who Friday night shot and instantly killed Arthur Greene, an inoffensive sheepherder, was forcibly taken away from Deputy Sheriff Joe Cassidy by a mob of infuriated farmers, and his body riddled with bullets, according to news brought here today by the deputy sheriff. According to Cassidy, Snyder blew off the top of Greene's head with a shot gun when the latter attempted to prevent Snyder from killing a dog belonging to Charles Beymer. Following the shooting Snyder is said to have fled to the woods. A posse was quickly organized and started in pursuit. Early Saturday, Snyder was located fifteen miles from Hamilton where the shooting occurred and surrendered to the posse. Yesterday Cassidy started for Canyon City with the prisoner. According to his story he had hardly gotten outside of Hamilton before a mob held him up and took Snyder out of the buggy and ordered the officer to drive on. Cassidy drove back to Hamilton for assistance and when he returned found Snyder's lifeless body in the road, riddled with bullets.

50 Years Ago

From the East Oregonian

Dec. 27, 1959

A string of 55 deathless days on Umatilla County's highways ended early Sunday when Robert Lee Jones, 16, Pendleton, was killed instantly in a crash at Pilot Rock. The accident occurred about 2 a.m. when a car driven by Wallace Stanley Horsman, 21, of Pendleton failed to make the curve at SW Birch and Birch Place in Pilot Rock and smashed into a power pole. The impact threw Horsman, his younger brother Gary, 18, and Jones from the front seat of the car. Jones was thrown beneath the machine, according to state police, and was killed instantly. The boys reportedly were returning from a smoker at Ukiah High School.

25 Years Ago

From the East Oregonian

Dec. 27, 1984

An early morning blaze gutted Bill Swedes Pub in Weston, according to assistant Athena Fire Chief Steve Pyle. Pyle said the fire was reported about 4:30 a.m. today and the volunteer fire department in Weston called on 10 Athena volunteer firemen to contain the blaze. The business, at 104 N. Water, was completely destroyed, Pyle said. There were no injuries and the fire was confined just to the pub. The fire departments contained the fire by 8:30, Pyle said.


Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.