100 Years Ago

From the East Oregonian

June 1-2, 1909

Henry Heisler and wife, the former proprietor of the Valley house,

fairly touched death yesterday afternoon, when their auto turned turtle

at the junction of the Blalock and county roads, between College Place

and Walla Walla. Mrs. Heisler was injured internally and is now in the

Walla Walla hospital. It is thought she has a chance to recover. Her

husband is confined to his bed and is suffering with a severely bruised

head. It is not believed he is seriously injured. There were no

eyewitnesses to the accident, although O.Z. Skinner, a local real

estate man, and party had just passed the Heisler car, and when about

20 rods ahead one of the women in his car looked back and saw the

Heisler machine lying on one side of the road. Mrs. Heisler was

driving, and several feet this side of the curve the Skinner car passed

them. The woman increased her speed to overtake the lead car. When she

reached to slow down for the curve, in the excitement, she threw on

more speed. The car shot for the embankment at the side of the road,

and when Mrs. Heisler did succeed in turning the car the rear wheels

skidded over the three-foot embankment.

50 Years Ago

From the East Oregonian

June 1-2, 1959

Jack Stelwer, chairman of the Centennial committee, said last week the

people of Fossil have accepted an invitation to race a choice porcupine

against a skunk in the Josephine County Fair August 12-15. A small

porcupine will be selected from the June crop and trained by Zach

Keyes. He is confident the quilled creature can outrun the striped one,

Stelwer said. This all came about because Stelwer announced early this

spring that Fossil would celebrate the Centennial with a porcupine race

at the Wheeler County Fair and Rodeo, Sept. 4, 5, 6. The Cavemen of

Grants Pass thought it would be great to have a preliminary race over

there in August so they invited the promoters to try to beat their


25 Years Ago

From the East Oregonian

June 1-2, 1984

No one could say Monsignor George Murphy wasn't prepared. Monsignor

Murphy, who died recently, left the world with the kind of a farewell

he'd wanted. The priest made his own rough-box coffin. He arranged for

burial on the Walton ranch near the highway between Dale and Ritter in

Grant County. He left instructions he was not to be embalmed. His only

flowers were wild. He was buried simply, as he lived. Bishop Thomas

Connolly of the Baker Archdiocese and 14 priests said the last Mass for

Monsignor Murphy on the front lawn of the Walton ranch. Nearly 140

mourners gathered around. Little children wandered among the crowd and

a 2-year-old toddled around looking at wild flowers. The worshippers

though Murphy would have liked that. Bishop Connolly said he had never

participated in a more simple and beautiful service, and that he hoped

the faith will live in the hearts of those whose lives had been touched

by Father Murphy.


Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.