100 Years Ago

From the East Oregonian

June 27, 1909

Clarence Morse, Harry Morse, his son, and J. Ellsworth were arraigned in police court this morning on the charge of stealing a calf belonging to J.R. Marple. Warrants of arrest had also been issued for Ray King and a young fellow giving the name of Sandow but the last two have not been located. As the evidence against the three arraigned this morning was insufficient to warrant holding them to the grand jury the case against them was dismissed. According to the evidence introduced this morning, the two young men who are missing had killed the calf, quartered it and had it sacked up by the roadside when these other three men came along with pack horses and transported the meat to where the ?butchers? could dispose of it. The men arraigned this morning insisted that their coming along with pack horses was just a ?happen so.?

50 Years Ago

From the East Oregonian

June 27, 1959

The European woods are full of tourists this year, but Mr. and Mrs. Rodney Hughes of Pendleton do not intend to be among them. The Hugheses will be touring Europe alright, but in a very unorthodox manner. They?ll be touring by bicycle. They left June 20 to drive to Portland, where they took a plane to Shannon, Ireland. They will cross the channel to England and buy their cycles from a factory near London. Their tentative itinerary includes cycling across France through Germany to Denmark. The met an exchange student at University of Oregon who lives in Copenhagen, and he has invited then to visit him.

25 Years Ago

From the East Oregonian

June 27, 1984

The hardwood floors gleamed and green curtains fluttered in the windows. ?We worked hard to get it this far,? explained Norma Null, a volunteer in the senior meal program. ?Lots of things are left to do,? Mrs. Null was talking about the Hermiston Senior Center, dedicated Tuesday before about 180 seniors. Once known as Park Hall, the fairgrounds building was moved in 1982 a few hundred feet to its present site on Orchard Avenue. Volunteers have extensively remodeled the building in the meantime. Park Hall had been built at the fairgrounds in the mid-1930s and was the only major building to survive the fairgrounds fire of 1955. Instead of demolishing the building to make way for a new post office, the City Council in 1981 donated the building to the senior citizens. The city picked up the $15,000 cost of moving Park Hall from one end of the fairgrounds to the other. With another $25,000 donation from the city, senior citizens built a 1,000 square-foot addition for bathrooms, a kitchen, storage and a meeting area.

Tags

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.